The World's Wallpaper

Photos have become so ingrained in our society as disposable snapshots of romanticized lifestyles. They are used more as vessels to showcase the object within an image as opposed to sharing the image as an object itself which is to be admired. For this project, I wanted to capture moments of subtlety that may go unnoticed. To me, nature and the outdoors bring me peace and that is why it is such a big theme in my work. These three images all came from the same walk I took one morning. As I was taking the photos I was only thinking, "this looks cool" or, "I like the way this looks". It was not until I sat down to edit them that I realized the common thread between these images is the relationship between light and the viewer. 


This first image shows the vantage point of the viewer as they are looking into the sunlight. 



This second image shows the effect of one object being backlit. I find shadows very interesting to capture because it in of itself is not an object, but rather a suggestion of one.



The last image shows an object brightly lit from the front. Because of this, I wanted to focus on the vibrance of color that light allows you to see. It also seemed interesting to look at such a small blade of grass be so brightly lit. 

The different uses of natural light allows the viewer to feel as though they are exploring the outdoors just as I did as I took the photos. This immersive viewer experience is also intended as an escape from the societal pressures of meaningless photos meant only to be glanced at. Instead, take a pause. Breathe. 

Comments

  1. I love these! I think you did a vey good job, not only writing this post, but also how you incorporated a simple walk and thought process into something much bigger! Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts